Sunday, March 23, 2008

Join me in writing the NJ State Parole Board to keep the Seton Hall fire killers in prison

The 2 of them, inmates 570191 and 570192 (why mention their names?), are going before the parole board for the first time on March 31. That means time is of the essence to affect the board's decision if you're outraged, as I am, that these 2 callous monsters could be set free in May, having served only 16 months of an already paltry 5 years maximum.

In January 2000, they lit a banner on fire in a 3rd floor dorm lounge in the middle of the night as a "prank." They denied any involvement for years, but finally admitted it in 2006. Three men died and 58 were injured as a result of their drunken "prank." Countless lives have been ruined. Three families are missing sons and brothers every second of their lives. Can you imagine getting THAT phonecall in the middle of the night? Their daily agony is unimaginable, so I feel the least I can do is take a few minutes to write a letter that could potentially keep their sons' killers in prison for the duration of their sentence.

The dead students are Aaron Karol, Frank Caltabilota, Jr., and John Giunta. Only 18-years-old. Identified through dental records. They should be alive and 26 now. Having fun. Enjoying Easter dinner today with their families. Instead, their lives were snuffed out in a sudden, violent, unspeakably awful way. WHO in their right mind lights a fire...in a dorm...at 3am...and then doesn't even warn anyone? NO ONE. You are not IN your right mind. There is no excuse. And there is no excuse for these two killers (or should I soften it by calling them arsonists?) to see the light of day ANY sooner than after having served a full 5 years behind bars. It's argued they've been model prisoners -- serving as a chaplain's assistant, completing stock market courses. Aww, well ain't that swell? What about their victims laying in coffins? What's their reward?

The parents of the dead students started the letter-writing campaign at the start of the year. Some 300 letters have been received by the parole board since. Passionate pleas like this CAN help. I'll be putting my letter in the mailbox tomorrow. Here's how you can help, too:

New Jersey State Parole Board
171 Jersey Street
Trenton, NJ 08611
Re: Seton Hall Fire Hearings

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you for this blog! I just started drafting my letter today after reading about the account in Sunday's Star Ledger. I have followed it since that tragic day and will do my share by writing to the Parole Board. Not that it will do any good to keep those bastards in jail, but at least I can pay my respects to and honor the victims and their families, and to let them know enough people care about THEM...the victims! Once again, thank you. I wasn't sure of the Parole Board's address until I got it from you.

12:17 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home