Tuesday, March 21, 2006

"Would you like a donut?"..."No, thanks."..."They're free."..."Oh, REALLY?!"

This little exchange occurred about 11:30pm after walking to Dunkin Donuts simply to break a $20...by gettin a small French vanilla coffee. MMMM. Turns out -- no big shock, really -- that they dump any un-bought donuts at the end of the day. But offering them to last minute customers for free??! THIS is what struck me. I may have hatched onto my latest scheme here, lol. So my next question to the young lad was "how many can I get?" Two, three, he suggested. I used restraint and only took two...a chocolate frosted and strawberry frosted. WHAT a delightful surprise!! I was quite chatty with Donut Boy, then asking him if they can't give the leftovers to the homeless, after we both noted what a waste it was of tray upon tray of donuts and muffins. He muttered something that added up to NO. Not wanting to come off like some militant do-gooder, or fall out of his good graces for when I return next Tuesday night at 11:30pm, I didn't press the issue. I'm more and more fond of these late night strolls to Dunkin Donuts. It's a super relaxing 20 minutes or so. Perhaps because i'm often the sole customer? I found myself feeling very protective of the generous and friendly 18-year-old behind the counter. I left worrying about him. I don't live in a remotely bad area, but freak things can happen anywhere. This kid was the only one in the store, late at night. I hope he at least has a bat behind the counter...or a handgun. I sauntered home with my free bag of donuts and invigorating cup of coffee, relishing my end-of-day good tidings on this first full day of spring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home