Tuesday, July 04, 2006

LOS ANGELES remembered

I woke up in Los Angeles 20 years ago today for the first time...the 1st of 3 days in a row there. The first morning in Norwalk, the next 2 in North Hollywood. So I woke in Tiffany's hometown of Norwalk today. I did so enjoy that exotic Japanese Mikado hotel we stayed at in North Hollywood. My God, I just can't believe it's been 20 years. I mean, I guess it feels like it. It's sad, though. We spent the 4th of July taking a bus & van tour of Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and Bel Air. Had lunch at McDonald's, saw "glamorous movie stars' homes." I'm quoting from my diary of the trip. We had dinner on the 4th at the Jap hotel..."a nice waitress cooked right along tableside." The bro and I swam in the pool at night...I vividly recall we were like the only ones there, dad chaperoning. We watched Johnny Carson as a family (awwwwww) and I savored the balcony before going to sleep. I LOVE balconies!! "Does it have a balcony?!," my brother and I would always ask with heightening anxiety as we raced toward the closed drapes of any hotel room. Now, on the 5th of July, 1986, we toured Universal Studios, then left LA on the 6th, but not before touring 90210 and Bel Air on our own...and going to church. Heavy sigh. Eh, at least we sampled an LA church...fun! After bumming around MALIBU for a bit, we sped off to VENTURA, which remains to this day one of the towns or cities i'm most fond of in this life. Beautiful memories...despite how I looked at 13. And so now we're ticking day by day past 20 years since I last set foot in the City of Angels. My obsession grows like no one can possibly imagine. I'm not even entirely sure myself why it's LA. I mean, why not Austin, Seattle, San Diego, Portland...if all I want is someplace across the country to visit...or move to? It's so much. There's many reasons it's LA. C'mon, it's LA. Next to NYC, it's all about LA. Professionally and very personally, I just can't think of anywhere else I'd rather park my ass. Be cool to see my name and address ending with LOS ANGELES, CA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home