Saturday, December 02, 2006

Mariah's "ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS YOU"

As I write this, I remain staggered by the truth of what i'm about to write. But it's true...this song is a Christmas favorite of mine. It has become...gasp...a standard.

I get giddy when I hear the intro coming on, particularly in a car when i'm alone, which allows for maximum volume and maximum screeching. My favorite part of the song is at the end -- DA, NA, DA, NA, DA, NA..."YOUUUUUUUUU," Mariah squeals repeatedly, in a range that my dead dog can hear. The video plays in my mind as the song goes along...Mariah dressed as a saucy Mrs. Claus, frolicking in the snow. I like to imagine i'm IN the video, recreating the orgasmic wintry joy Mariah exudes, but with my own friends...or simply, alone; I can dance, frolic, and inspire solo, dammit.

It's all so odd. I'm not a big Mariah fan. I don't yearn for Christmas standards. And with such a GLUT of holiday recorded idiocy each year (Ali Lohan, anyone?), the idea that a BRAND NEW SONG could emerge from the pack to rival decades-long chestnuts is simply astonishing. But Mariah's done it, I tell you. Bing Crosby, she ain't...but ALL I WANT FOR XMAS IS YOU is still a MOST worthy aural addition to each holiday season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home