Friday, July 07, 2006

PATH trains...the next to explode?

Forgive my glib dark humor...it's the only way I get through the day. So today brought the wonderful news that The Evildoers have been plotting to blow up PATH trains. Which one(s) and when, who knows. By autumn, in general, though. Yeah, let's give more homeland security funding to Eau Claire, WI. I'm highly alarmed by all of this...yet oddly comforted. Comforted because I've said from day one that I felt PATH trains were being overlooked by both law enforcement and the public in terms of there being a threat to them...and now people will wake up. I also can't resist pointing out now that my ongoing yearning for a NON-9 to 5 workday, I strongly suspect, works in my favor in terms of not being blown to bits in a tunnel under the Hudson. EVERYTHING job-related for me, to a decent degree, goes back to 9/11. But I won't get into all that. It's funny, though, how I continue to feel safer on the PATH than sitting in a bus in bumper-to-bumper traffic, inching through the Lincoln Tunnel. I guess because the trains generally keep MOVING. Sure, you could explode at any second, but you feel safer MOVING. So perhaps feeling safer on the PATH than a bus is irrational, but I don't care. I'M more at ease on the PATH, and that's all that matters. But it's not entirely irrational. At least there's police on the PATH. Who's checking the people getting on buses at every corner? No one. And THAT is an issue. Buses blow moosecock on about 10 different other levels, too, but this is a strictly terrorism rant. Anything can happen, at any time, to any train or bus line. THAT is the scary reality...of living in or around NYC. I don't think people quite grasp the level of anxiety and genuine risk the people of NYC endure on a daily basis. It kinda does make you wanna be a local shopkeeper in a Midwestern college town. Kinda. It's all about managing your fear. Or not. If you want to or not. Then there's the fact that I don't think a lot of people DO think about terrorism...why this PATH plot being exposed is a good thing. I am forever vigilant...not panicked, but vigilant. Another attack has been on my mind since Sept. 11, 2001. I hate it. I hate that I always worry. I hate that I can't totally relax, that I'm always looking around. Obviously, more so at peak travel times. I hate, too, that my fear of flying is EXTRA amped up since 9/11. On a side note, I hate that I can't leave my bike unlocked outside a store for 2 minutes for fear that someone will just take it. I just DON'T understand the people of this world. Why there's terrorism and murder and stealing and raping. Who ARE these monsters? Ok, so there's a difference between Osama and a thug stealing my bike...I know this. I'm PISSED that people JUST can't be CIVILIZED!! I sound like something out of THE WALTONS. My brother comforted me by saying "don't worry, Gar, if you blow up in an attack, i'll fly overseas the next day and fight for you." Isn't that sweet? The dark Irish humor runs in the family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home