Sunday, March 16, 2008

Thread Count 101

Until tonight, I had absolutely no idea what the fuck numbers were involved in thread counts. You know, for bedroom linens. I need new bedwear, so off to...Walmart I went. I like Walmart...for certain things. Bottom line, for whatever reason, it's cheap. Like $1.86 for a 3 pound tub of Country Crock butter! But I digress. I really didn't WANT sheets and pillowcases from there...but I browsed just to see.

Two things caught my eye. #1, a lot of their bedwear shit is made in Pakistan. Fuck that. Osama's likely being hidden in Pakistan. Thousands of our men and women are dead because of him. I'M not buying a pillowcase made in fucking Pakistan. So that pissed me off. I can't even buy fucking sheets in Walmart in NJ without thinking of terrorism and war. Getting off topic again. So #2 was the thread count. And once I finished at Walmart, it was off to Kmart, where I admittedly kinda had Martha's collection in mind to possibly buy from, and I immersed myself in the extensive marketing bullshit write-ups on all of her packagings. And I learned that HER collection starts at 200 and goes up to 500. But I saw a 600 one at Walmart. And just before, I began investigating thread counts online.

They start at a paltry 80. And go up to, well, first I read 700...then 1,000...so who the fuck knows. But you must ALSO consider the THICKNESS and WEAVES of the threads to determine comfort. Oh, and it's recommended you TOUCH AND FEEL the bedwear before you buy it...which makes me feel better about opening various packages and caressing the contents. A final note...my research has determined that, in general, there's really NO obvious increase in softness once you go past the 300-400 level. And here I was tempted to buy Martha's 500-thread shit. God, I love educating myself! I can only hope YOU'VE learned something fresh and exciting here, too!I will now settle for 400-count...which is already double the usual 200-count I've made perfect good use of until now. Again, let me stress, I'VE NEVER CONSIDERED THIS SHIT BEFORE TONIGHT IN MY LIFE! Now my NEXT hurdle will be finding discount Lacoste clothes...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home