Monday, August 14, 2006

Running the bases, rippin' the juniper branch off...

Today was beyond refreshingly different, an ungodly welcome change from the stifling monotony of my life. I hope it's a sign of things to come. I am soooooooooo fucking tired of everything...even though I'm in a pretty good general mood and HAVE been steadily whittling the SHIT in my life down. Hmm, this blog needs a jumpkick, too. Or does it? HOW much energy do I want to invest in a blog? Another thing to ponder in the still of the night. In a nutshell...I went to the meadows today for the 2nd time this summer. But before I went on any nature trails, I whipped the bike out of the car and went riding down the truck-heavy meadow road...and then around the baseball field. And I sat on a bench, alone in the meadows except for a man and his dog, on a glorious August Monday, taking in the summer air. And then I ran the bases for the fuck of it, making sure I was still alone first, so as not to look like a fool. Something very American about a baseball field. Very apple pie. And then it was back to the trails...and I noticed the smell of juniper! Juniper...one of my fave Bath & Body Works soaps! How AWESOME to actually have the REAL thing in my bathroom, I thought to myself! And so, toward the end of my hiking, I discreetly yanked a small branch full of berries off the trees, stuffing it into my bag. It now sits in my bathroom, FILLING the air with this marshy, beachy wonder of a smell! To top things off, I made my way to Barnes & Noble for the first time in months to seek out Dan's article in a certain national magazine. Surreal. Bravo to him, though. Again, he inspires me. A thoroughly satisfying day. And a late-night bike ride home. Oh, and a tan! Well, burn. The point is, the week actually started with a much-needed change of pace...and a lot of thinking. The Big Blackout was 3 years ago tonight, by the way...that classic, hot summer night. I have 3 weeks till Labor Day to have MORE classic summer nights...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home